• question-icon

What causes extra growth near anus?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi for about 6/7 months I have had a very small extra flap of skin near my anus. I asked my mom and she passed it off as a hemmeriod. I'm worried it could be a wart. Please help! In May 2015 I have a normal pap and was clear from everything. The bump developed around July after I had been on birth control for 2 months. Could this just be a skin tag, it's sort of a yellow/skin color. Can provide picture .
Answered by Dr. Deepak 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be Sentinel pile.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for the query.
I understand your concern.

I would like to know few more details, like
Is there any pain while defecating?
Do you feel any thickening of anal canal opening?
Based on the description given by you I think it could be a case of Sentinel pile ie anal fissure along with skin-tag.
I would advice you to consult your general surgeon for detailed examination and further management.
Do not worry. This is not a big issue. Simple excision under local anaesthesia would be enough.

Hope this helps.
Take care, Bye.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak 6 minutes later
Thank you for quick response ! Not really pain but there was blood in my stool the other day, my sister who is an RN said possibly because of an internal hemmeriod. Did you receive my picture ? I've been reading a lot and have convinced myself it's an anal wart, but in my there is only that one and very small.
Answered by Dr. Deepak 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Welcome back.
Thank you for the follow up query.

I recieved the pic after sending out previous answer!!
I have carefully noted the picture you sent us. It doesn't look like sentinel pile. Absence of pain also support the same thing.
I don't think it is a case of anal wart.
As your sister has pointed out, it could be a case of Internal haemorrhoid which can also present like this. It is usually associated with straining while defecating. Even though you don't have pain, I would like to keep this as a possible diagnosis.
This could also be Fistula-in-ano progressed to abscess formation resulting in the bump( internal collection of abscess) which you can appreciate. Fistula usually present with discharge which can mimic blood in stool.

For both these possible conditions, proctoscopic examination is a must to arrive at any definitive diagnosis.
I would again suggest you to consult your surgeon for detailed examination. This seems to be in early stage (based on photo and symptoms mentioned by you). Early treatment can prevent unwanted consequences.
Do not worry. Its nothing to be worried about.

Hope this clears all of your doubts.
You can always get back to me if you have further queries.
I'm happy to help you.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Deepak 4 minutes later
Thanks so much again ! Can I ask why you do not believe this would be an anal wart ? I feel just as I have convinced myself of this. I am making an appt with my gyno for this coming Thursday, she would be able to tell me for sure if it is a wary correct?
Answered by Dr. Deepak 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not anal wart

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome again.
I understand your confusion.
Anal wart presents like a papillary projections ie cauliflower like projections which I do not see in the picture.
I can assure you that this is not anal warts. I'm pretty sure you will get he same response after consulting your doctor.
Internet feeds you with lot of unwanted, unproven information. Not everything that is there on web is a definite medical conditions.

Instead of Gyno I would refer you to Surgeon. But you have take opinion from your gyno also.

Hope I answered your query.

Regards.
Dr. Deepak