What causes exhaustion, chest pain and numb feet?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My friend XXXXXXX is 46 years old, weighs 227 lbs, and is 5'6". She had gastric sleeve surgery 2 years ago. So her stomach is greatly reduced in size. She is experiencing the following symptoms:
1. intermittent minor chest pain that lasts a few mins then goes away
2. exhaustion
3. dizziness
4. intermittent headaches
5. numbness of the feet
* 2 years ago before her gastric surgery, her bloodwork came back ok. She did not have anemia or thyroid problems often associated with exhaustion.
Up until 2 weeks ago, she was drinking 4 to 5 cans of Coke Zero every day. Due to the symptoms above, she stopped drinking Coke Zero 2 weeks ago. Her symptoms persist.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please, let her get a cardiac ultrasound!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that your friend has. I have reviewed her symptoms fully and these could be explained by possible heart problem. This happens when the heart is unable to assure all its functions. The best way to go about this is to do an ultrasound of the heart which measures the blood volumes and visualizes the functioning of the heart in real time. This way, we can tell for sure if this is the problem and what the specific abnormality is. Because of her weight, it is relatively easier for her to have these difficulties with her heart than others of her age group.

I hop this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 10 minutes later
Thank you for your reply
So it doesn't seem to be a B12 deficiency or diabetes 2?
XXXXXXX was told by her gastric surgeon that often these patients require special vitamin B12 injections, which she has not had.

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do you have her blood counts?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this follow up.

Given the fact that part of his stomach was touched during the surgery, there is a high risk of vitamin B12 deficiency. I will like that the blood levels should be measured and a complete blood count undertaken. With these further measures, we can be certain on the probable deficiency if it exists and the real need for injections of B12 supplements.

Keep me updated and please follow up with me on this.