What causes exhaustion and excessive drowsiness despite taking Thyroxine and Prednisone?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i take 88 mgs thyroxine daily. Was on 5 mgs daily of prednisone for adrenal gland but was exhausted so have been on 10 mgs of prednisone. It has helped the exhaustion,much better, have my energy back but I have been getting very very sleepy/drowzy around noon every day for a few hours. Now the sleepiness/drowziness is lasting longer into the evening. Feel like I was brain-dead. Like a zombie. This has increased in the last two/ three days!!

Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
May need modification of dose of prednisone

Detailed Answer:
Good day. Noted your concern. The preferred drug for adrenal insufficiency is Hydrocortisone, not prednisone. You may have to split the dose of hydrocortisone to 10 mg on waking up, 5 mg at lunch time and 5 mg by 5 pm. This would be equivalent to 7.5 mg prednisone. However, if you have difficulty in getting or using hydrocortisone, please continue Prednisone , but in split dose. 5 mg on waking up and 2.5 mg at early evening. This may improve your tiredness.

Have you had a recent test for serum electrolytes ( sodium and potassium )? Based on this we may need to modify these medicines. How about your last thyroid blood works? Are they in the range?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist