What causes excessive yellow vaginal discharge?

Posted on Fri, 18 Dec 2015 in General Health
Question: I have been having a vaginal discharge for about a week now and it soaks my underwear as if I peed on myself. I have been wearing a pad and the discharge appears to be a light yellow but it is not chunky. I had been out drinking alcohol the night before and when I woke up the next day, I just felt a gush and I thought maybe I had come on my menstrual cycle in my sleep but it was this discharge. I did not have sex that night and I do not have an STD. I am married and only been with the same man.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vaginitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

It looks like you are suffering from vaginitis and most likely a bacterial infection of the vagina. It is common and easily treatable

Here is what you should do

1. Avoid sex until you are treated
2. wear clean, cotton panties and avoid moisture around that area
3. You might also need a course of antibiotic. I usually start my patients on tab ciproflox 500 mg twice daily for 5 days after sending the discharge for culture. You may consult your primary physician or a gynecologist and ask for a script.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist