What causes excessive yawning?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: I yawn constantly (my mouth opens very large when I yawn) whenever I am sitting or not moving. The yawning starts 1hour after I wake up in the morning, and occurs especially when I am reading, studying.

I inherited a minor case of Mediterranean anemia from my mother.
My overall health is good, with the exception of pre-diabetes. I do exercise and engage in a lot of physical activity, and take 81-low dose aspirin.

I think this problem may be caused by the following issues:
1. I inherited anemia from my parents;
2. a possible weak heart beat;
3. blood flood from the arteries in my neck to my brain is not sufficient;
4. the blood capillaries in my brain may be clogged;
5. my diet does not include a lot of red meat.
6. My brain maybe doesn't get enough oxygen when I sleep even my feeling that I get sound sleep everyday..

I want a doctor to give me recommendations for medical treatment and refer me to a specialist for more guidance.

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

The hypotheses that you bring are valid ones. They have one common end result which is less oxygen supply to the brain.
I would add to them another hypothesis which could be low thyroid hormone level or metabolic disturbances.

So how I would start in the evaluation would be a routine metabolic panel including thyroid function, electrolytes, vitamin B12, liver and kidney function tests and naturally complete blood count.

If all those result normal (apart from the mild anemia) next step should be electrical studies, sleep study for the possibility of sleep apnea and Holter EKG for heart abnormal rhythm.

If again no issue needing treatment is found then head and neck MRI and angio MRI are the last step.

Management varies according to findings (hormone or nutritional supplements, cpap sleep machine, blood thinners etc)

I remain at your disposal for further questions.