What causes excessive weight loss when diagnosed with IBS?
It is not IBS only if she is losing weight non-intentionally.
Thank you for using HealthcareMagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.
Weight loss is considered one of the alarming symptoms of IBS, which means that if a person has that without explanation, they need to rule out other possible diagnoses which are like but not IBS.
It all depends on all the results of her tests, and other medical information that she has but it can be from many causes- inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis, Crohn disease, microscopic colitis, collagenous colitis, colorectal cancer, lactose intolerance, celiac disease, bacterial overgrowth, ovarian cancer, hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, etc.
But, the main conclusion is that if she is losing weight unexplained, then she may have something from those above, and not only IBS.
About her headache, here are my thoughts:
- Is she having long hair, does she tie her hair tight? Pain in the scalp may be from pulling your hair.
- If the tenderness in only in her temple area, she needs to consider biopsy and rule out Temporal arteritis, because if she has that it may give vision loss also.
- Then if she has ruled out the most important types of a headache, and she has done MRI and CT scan of the head, then most probably it is a just tension headache. In this case, she just needs to avoid stressful factors and take painkillers when she has a headache.
Hope what I have written above makes things clear a bit.
Let me know if you have other questions or concerns about these issues.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Excessive weight loss and runny nose
- Weight loss for ibs with constipation
- Reason for excessive weight loss while abstaining from alcohol
- Symptoms of Excessive weight loss
- Treatment and cure for Excessive weight loss
- Does regular masturbation cause excessive weight loss
- What is the cause and treatment for ibs
- Diagnosis of Excessive weight loss
- Drugs/medication for Excessive weight loss
- Excessive weight loss constipation done blood test need advice