What causes excessive weight gain, body aches and easy bruising?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: what could cause sharp stabbing pains on any part of your body and it makes you sick and dizzy to the point you cannot drive or do anything and also I am gaining weight and my legs are swelling and hurting really bad

oh I forgot to say when I have these sharp pains then a huge bruise comesout in the area of the pain
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
need to rule out any bleeding and coagulation disorders, Cushing's syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query at healthcareMagic

Sharp stabbing pain followed by bruising raises the concern for bleeding/ coagulation disorders, where the clotting of blood is not taking place properly.

I would also look into the possibility of Cushing's syndrome since you are complaining of weight gain along with pain and easy bruising. Cushing's is caused by excessive secretion of corticosteroid in the body. It can also be seen in persons taking corticosteroid medications.

Medications that increase bleeding like aspirin, Warfarin, Eliquis etc. can also cause these symptoms.

You will need investigations including complete blood count, bleeding time, clotting time, vitamin K levels, urine cortisol levels and further tests depending on these initial results.

Hope I was able to answer your question
Please feel free to address any more concerns

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee