• question-icon

What causes excessive vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite and rapid weight loss?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
I'm pretty worried at this point. I have been to the Dr. twice for problems with my stomach. I've had my appendix out and always suffered from very bad ulcers to the point of hospitalization. I'm a 48 year old XXXXXXX XXXXXXX male. I have never smoked or drink alcohol. Very active and healthy. On XXXXXXX 28, I got very sick after eating a burger. I was throwing up badly. It look like it could have been old blood in my throw up. I've went to the Dr. and had a ultrasound and a Ct scan, everything was well besides swollen colon. My stomach hurts and I haven't been able to eat anything. I can only sip on water without throwing up. I was told today that my testicles were swollen. I don't feel nauseous anymore but my stomach is still hurting. No appetite either and I have rapid weight loss from these last few days. What could it be? I don't want it to be stomach or colon cancer. Would the cat scan have showed a tumor in my stomach? I don't want it to be colon cancer either! Going to have a colonoscopy and camera inserted this week. Are there any other conditions that cause these same symptoms? Wouldn't the cancer show on the cat scan?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Usually seen if it is present/ can be gastritis or gastroenteritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history carefully and understood your concerns.
To answer your queries:
Yes, most of the stomach cancers are shown on CT scan of the abdomen unless they are small and then can be diagnosed by Upper GI Endoscopy and biopsy.
Hence I would advise you to get an early appointment for Upper GI Endoscopy and biopsy if required.
Since you were sick after eating burger on XXXXXXX 28 and got vomiting with probable old collected blood it may be due to Gastroenteritis secondary to burger, vomiting being the manifestation of gastritis or stomach ulcer, but can be shown only on an upper GI Endoscopy.
Pain in abdomen making eating difficult can be due to the same Gastroenteritis as said earlier.
Cancer of stomach and colon usually has a longer history hence should not be worried about unless proved on endoscopic examination and biopsy for confirmation.
It is good that you have got an appointment for colonoscopy.
Request for an upper GI Endoscopy and also to complete the list of other investigations as may be required.
CT scan would also show other signs such as enlarged lymph nodes, ascites or a mass which is not seen in your report.
Please give few details for me to assist you better:
Which ulcers have you been suffering from.
Please post reports if possible.
Why are you so much worried about stomach or colon cancer? Anyone in family or friend-circle has such a thing?
Please give feedback and report of colonoscopy after getting done.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 9 hours later
I forgot to add that there was a blockage in my testicals? I tried taking my meds tonight and they won't stay down. I don't throw up the actual pill but I start getting nauseous. I also kept spitting constantly from the bad taste in my mouth.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please post reports and give names of medications you are prescribed.

Detailed Answer:
Please give details about blockage in testicles.
Since there is gastritis any medications would increase the problems, cause nausea and vomiting.
Please post reports if possible as these will help me to assist you better.
Also post the names of the medicines that you are taking.
It may be possible that once the nausea and vomiting settles, you can take medicines.

You may use scrotal support.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 28 hours later
Today found out that I have a blockage and they say it's cancer. I am devistated. They couldn't tell me a stage yet. Waiting to have suregery. It's colon cancer.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please post reports

Detailed Answer:
So sorry to know.
Please post the reports.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon