What causes excessive vaginal discharge during pregnancy?

Posted on Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: I am 17 weeks pregnant ive been having some constipation, I normally have discharge but when I have a bowel movement there seems to be a color to it not sure what to make of it, there is no pain or any smell to it, I do have a fibroid on my cervix, also at about 6&12 weeks I had bleeding one where there where huge clots the size of my fist, had transvaginal ultasounds done and baby is fine, what could this discharge mean? is it possible its from the constipation it self? or maybe something more serious?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later
Brief Answer: please specify discharge Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to healthcare Magic! Please specify the discharge, do you man the change of color of stool or of vaginal discharge. I hope the additional information will help form useful advisr for you. Take Care!
Follow up: Dr. Monika Choudhary 8 minutes later
the vaginal discharge, its not all the time jus when I have a bowel movement, I use separate tissue and wipe front to back, it seems a yellow color but the yellow is usually faint, there are times when its a little bit brown in color, I havent experienced any pain or smell coming from the discharge, I do have a fibroid on my cervix and had bleeding at 6 & 12 weeks, the bleeding has stopped, I also was told prior to finding out I was pregnant I had an abnormal pap I refused a biopsy due to the bleeding I had,. I also will send 2 photos of the discharge I speak of
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Repeat your pap smear Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome back. I have gone through your photos During pregnancy cervix & vagina get congested & you can have excessive discharge. During bowel movement when you are straining it can increase in quantity & become noticeable. However as you were having abnormal pap smear before pregnancy you should get it done again & consult your doctor for local examination of cervix. I will be available for your further queries. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Monika Choudhary 45 minutes later
is that a normal color discharge if not what color should it be?? could it be infection if so what kind?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Thick whitish discharge in pregnancy is normal Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. During pregnancy due to increased progesterone level & cervical congestion you can have thick whitish discharge that is physiological. Your discharge is little bit blood tinge & that is why I advised you for local examination & repeat pap smear. Blood tinge discharge is not infectious it can be due to local injury to cervix & vagina, due to some pathogenic changes in cervix or due to placental separation or preterm labour. As you are not having any pain abdomen or excessive vaginal bleeding it seems to be local & need examination. Take care
Follow up: Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
the discharge is white, the only time is of slight color is after a bowel movement
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Normally color remains white even during bowel Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome back. Normally color of discharge does not get changed even during bowel movement. So get your examination done. Thank you
Dr. Monika Choudhary

OBGYN