What causes excessive vaginal discharge and bleeding?

Posted on Thu, 19 Feb 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi I am a little concerned about my vaginal discharge as for the last day or so it has been clear and thick, but has a few red stringy parts to it. I am not die a period for atleast another few weeks as I bled for 7 days after my mirena coil expelled itself on the 17/01. During this bleed I passed a huge blood clot, approximately 3 inch of thick jelly type congealed blood. My hubby and I are not trying to conceive as I have underlying problems (pcos & IIH treated with an LP shunt). My gp is absolutely useless so any advice is greatly appreciated
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably okay

Detailed Answer:
Your discharge/bleeding is probably some residual due to the mirena coming out. Periods can be irregular and bleeding can occur off and on for several months after a mirena is removed or expelled. If you have any fever, pelvic pain, itching or bad odor then you need a pelvic exam so you will need to see a doctor for that. If there is any chance of pregnancy then take a pregnancy test but I think that is unlikely in this case. I hope things get back to normal for you soon.
Best Regards,
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Kathy Robinson