• question-icon

What causes excessive sweating in the anal region?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi i am a 43 year old male in good health. I have been noticing for the past 2-3 months that my anus sweats during sleep or when i walk and sometimes when i am doing nothing. Not to the extent that my underwear is wet but it makes me uncomfortable and need to go the mens room and wipe it down. What is causing the sweat?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

What you are describing is most likely to be hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) of the anus. This is most common in men and is understandably annoying! Hyperhidrosis can occur really with any body part. There are treatments that you can try for it, both topical and systemic.

Antiperspirants containing aluminum (not deodorants, but antiperspirants). This would be used topically.

Next step would be anticholinergic medications. Help from this class of medications usually takes about 2 weeks.

And more recently, Botox (botulinum toxin) has been studied for treatment of excessive anal sweating. Botox injections block the nerves that trigger the sweat glands. Patients with hyperhidrosis may need several injections for effective results. Here is a research abstract on it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/0000
Please note that I don't think the "link" will show up blue, so you have to copy and paste it into your search bar to see it.

So, I recommend that you se a dermatologist to discuss these treatment options.

I hope this information helps.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh