What causes excessive sweating in a child?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my six month daughter is sweaty at night no temperature or over hot. Could she be teething? She's eating, drinking, and has wet and poo nappies.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sweating due to immature nervous system a part of development process

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I can understand your concern.
Excessive sweating during sleep is a very common complaint in this age and the most common cause is immature development of thermoregulatory (nervous)system.
The symptom subsides as the baby grows.
Check if there is overheating environmental temperature or overclothing.Avoid this as it may cause excessive sweating.
The uncommon cause of excessive sweat which is more common during feed can be 'congenital heart disease'.Here baby gets tiered during suckling and there is suck rest suck cycle.
If you find this please get her evaluated by a pediatrician.
Teething does not causes excessive sweating.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more query.
Wishing for your baby's good health.