• question-icon

What causes excessive sweating at night?

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have night sweats, more than the normal sweating during the day and it does stink, Im a man 56 years old. Is there any therapy for this?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Excessive sweating can be due to various causes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to health care magic,
It can be due to being emotionally charged up.
It can be due to high blood pressure.
Some blood pressure medications and medicines to lower lipids can make you flushed and sweat more.
Eating spicy food at night, smoking and alcohol can make you sweat.
A heart problem, low sugar, fever can make you sweat.
Please rule out all these treatable causes.
You can take a cold shower, use a good duoderant, and lastly there are medicines called anti cholinergics like oxybutynin that can help.
Discuss this with your doctor for a prescription.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 54 minutes later
I dont take any medications and I had a physical exam 6 months ago. I dont eat any overly spicy foods at all and nothing spicy before bedtime. I dont drink alcohol at all but I do smoke cigarettes. I didnt have low blood sugar or any heart problem noted at my last physical exam. A good deodorant isnt the answer as I do shower before bed and use a good deodorant. The sweating is over my entire body, not just in my armpits, enough that it soaks the sheets and it does have an odor to it that I dont have if I sweat during the day
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Then try to cut down on smoking especially at night.

Detailed Answer:
Great! Then try to cut down on smoking especially at night.

My advice stands---

'You can take a cold shower, use a good deodorant, and lastly, there are medicines called anticholinergic like Oxybutynin that can help.
Please discuss this with your doctor for a prescription.

I hope it helps and you feel better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Geeta Sundar