What causes excessive sweating and hyperventilation after partial hysterectomy and an appendectomy?

Posted on Tue, 6 Jan 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello! I am a 43yo female who has had a partial hysterorectomy (one ovary remaining and no uterus) and an appendectomy. Two days ago I suffered my second episode of excessive sweating, a feeling of general sickness and when and when I went to get up I felt disoriented and extremely weak causing me to collapse. Unfortunately this occurred at work while talking to a coworker, who rushed me to the hospital. Despite the cold temperatures I was still sweating perfusely and per my nurse was hyperventilating which she said was causing my lower body to shake uncontrollably. As usual all my labs, and EKG came back normal except ellavated blood pressure. I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis, but does not explain my inability to walk from being so weak for several hours nor the unprovoked sweating. I am scheduled to visit the XXXXXXX Clinic later this month however, I am more than a little concerned at this point. What could be causing this? I am usually healthy, 5'6 153lbs muscular build.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Concerning symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your question.

I am glad that you will be seen at the XXXXXXX Clinic soon. There could be many causes for your symptoms. Problems with your heart, thyroid or nervous system could all cause the symptoms that you describe. Please let me know if you are taking any medicines. Also please upload your reports, so that I can advise you further.

It is good that testing in the ED was normal, but you may need more testing on your heart. The EKG does not show up all problems with the heart.

We are also always concerned about some sort of cancer when people have rapid weight loss as you did in July. Your will get a good work up at XXXXXXX Clinic. I hope that they find the cause of your symptoms soon and are able to treat you and get you back to normal soon.

For any fevers, passing out or chest pain, I suggest that you go back to Emergency immediately.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Kathy Robinson