What causes excessive sweating and hot flashes?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I'm a 118 lbs. 58 years old female in relatively good a health, taking only Estrogel and Prometrium (lowest dose in both cases) for menopause. I have noticed over the last year that I seem to always be sweaty in every skin fold, i.e., at the elbow, under arm, thighs, behind the knees, between upper legs. I do not 'drop sweat' but my skin never feels completely dry. I rarely have hot flashes, only occasionally if and when I have a glass of red wine.

Is this normal at my age and if so, why? What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to menopause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Feeling sweaty can be one of the symptoms of menopause and it can be a normal variation. The other possible causes can be an overactive thyroid gland, low blood sugar, hyperhidrosis and withdrawal from certain narcotics.
I encourage you to consult your dermatologist for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Treatment includes botox shots, anti perspirants and iontophoresis depending on the severity of the problem.
Meanwhile have plenty of fluids and try to wash your skin often.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
well, since I don't take narcotics, do not have low blood sugar or an overactive thyroid gland or hyperhidrosis, I guess it's menopause!

Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes. Menopause is most likely cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Menopause most likely.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.