What causes excessive sweating and amenorrhea?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Fri, 7 Apr 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello, I recently got married and this is the first time since then that I've been away from my husband. Its been 2 months (Feb & March) and I still have not gotten my periods. I have done few blood tests ( including a pregnancy test which came negative), urine test and a pelvis scan.

Scan was normal but in the blood tests few things I noticed was my ESR was a bit higher and the urine result showed that I've pus and red blood cells in it. Tests were done in the month of February 2017.

Today, wen I peed I felt an irritable burning sensation and another thing which i've been dealing with for these two months is excessive sweating from underarms . I would also like to point out that I've been working out about 3 or 4 days a week.

I'm really don't know what's going on with my body now. I'm someone who never misses a period till now. Please help me figure out what's going on in my body..

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If tests you mention are normal, then do not worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

Periods may delay and not come for several reasons and many of them are quite common and not particular abnormal. Stress, excessive exercises and diet are the main factors that would cause amenorrhea (missing periods) that is reversible.

So, if you have started exercising just lately, my recommendation is to slow down. Eat a healthy diet with at least 1500- 2000 calories, and if you think there is stress because of your husband absence, think of ways how to cope with it and handle in a healthy way.

- If the pregnancy test is negative- then you are not pregnant.
- The pelvic scan would diagnose possible abnormalities, who delay the period, but as I understand, seem not be any of them, since it is scan was normal.
- Make sure you check again by doing another urine analyse as soon as possible, so you rule out of confirm a possible urinary tract infection, if that is the case.
- I would not worry about the ESR, because it is not a sensitive nor specific test at all.

The best approach in this case is to wait up to 3-6 months before other tests are done, because in 98% of the cases the period would come and be regular by itself if the stress (of what else is causing it- possible causes mentioned above) is managed.

Hope this is helpful and reassures you a bit.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 14 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for replying. It actually does make me feel a bit better.

I'll reduce high intensity workouts and get on a healthy diet right away. Although, I do eat a fairly healthy diet which consists of brown bread, eggs, baked beans, brown rice, lentils, veg curry, green tea, fruits, chicken, fish, lettuce and cup of yogurt daily. In between I snack on chocolates or biscuits.
Note: Curries are made with very less salt as I have a slightly high BP.

Also will repeat the urine test as you have instructed. Do let me know if I am eating anything wrong or if you think I should include anything else in my current diet.

Thank you once again
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your diet is very healthy

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the follow-up question.

Your diet seems very healthy. I would not add or remove anything specific. Just make sure to eat enough calories per day.

Let me know if you need advice when you get the urine analyse results.

If you don't have anymore questions, please kindly close and rate the answer.

Dr.Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj