What causes excessive sleeping and sweating after taking Amoxicillin?

ENT Specialist
Question
My daughter was diagnosed with an ear infection and doctor prescribed amoxicillan. Daughter has had two doses and no fever but when she sleeps she is sweaty and clammy and seems weak and sleeping more than usual today.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. I would recommend that you get her examined at the nearest ER, preferably before any more doses of medication.

2. Amoxicillin is a well tolerated antibiotic and will not cause excessive sleepiness. The most common side effects with Amoxicillin are loose motions and skin rashes.

3. The Tylenol and Motrin may be responsible for the sweaty, clammy feel.

4. If she is on any anti-allergic medication, she may be drowsy because of this type of medication.

5. Has she been given any ear drops?

6. Considering her age, the drowsiness, weakness and ear infection needs a review. An ear swab can be sent for culture. Her blood sugar level and hydration should be checked.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.