What causes excessive sleepiness?

Posted on Wed, 15 Oct 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: my mother is hypertensive and diabetic also since last one month I am observing she is sleeping a lot she sleeps whole day about 16 to 17 hrs in entire 24 hr pls advice as it seems she is developing sleeping disorder. what to do her age is 62 yrs
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your mother's symptoms. She needs to be evaluated to determine the underlying cause of her excessive sleepiness.

This would include checking the level of sodium in blood and thyroid hormones.

In addition, a sleep study (polysomnography) may be needed to confirm the sleeping disorder.

Treatment would depend on the exact cause of her excessive sleepiness.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://XXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 25 hours later
as adviced my mother underwent following test and her report is s.sodium is 143, whereas T3 is 3.61 T4 is 15.67 TSH is 1.75
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
These blood reports are normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

The blood reports are within normal limits.

You may proceed for the sleep study (polysomnography).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist