What causes excessive sleep during daytime?
Sorry to learn about your excessive sleepiness.
An under-active thyroid can result in such symptoms.
When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:
CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your 3 month glucose average)
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
25 hydroxy Vitamin D
A condition called Sleep apnea can also result in similar symptoms. You will need to undergo a sleep study test to confirm this
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes choking in sleep
- What causes a rapid heartbeat during sleep
- Excessive sleep not depressed nor lethargic what is the cause
- What is the cause of nose bleeding during sleep
- Causes of shaking during sleep
- What causes recurring psychotic behaviour with excessive sleeping
- What causes hiccups during sleep
- What causes restless sleep
- Causes of excess sleep in eyes
- What causes death during sleep