What causes excessive mucus secretion in the throat?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: When eating after first or second mouthful it seems to stick in my throat until I take my first drink which seems to unblock it for the rest of the meal.
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gargle before food with warm salt water

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the question here. I will try to help the best.

You seem to have a lot of mucus secretion in the pharynx. This is obstructing the food that you eat. The reasons are many from allergy, infection, intolerance.
I suggest you to gargle and spit the mucus with warm water with pinch of salt in it. Once you feel that the throat is clear you can have food and this helps to get down the throat well.
Mucolytics like N-Acetyle cystein are prescribed in practice. If you have a primary care nearby you can get this prescribed. First try my above tip.

Hope this helps.