What causes excessive mucus in the throat, coughing, and chocking, and how can it be treated?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have excess mucus in my throat. It causes coughing, and almost chocking to get rid of it. I also wheeze occasionally. The cough and chocking is awful, wakes me up at night. I have seen NP and a Dr about this, and was told it was acute trachinitis with no air way blockage, because I needed to be cleared for rotator cuff surgery. I ant stand it any longer, what should I do??
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Anti-histamine decongestant combination, Montelukast

Detailed Answer:

Hi!

Post nasal drip of mucus can be very irritating.

It is the most common reason for chronic cough.

In some persons it is related to a reaction to food or drink or medication or environmental agents such as dust, pollen, cold temperature outside, animal dander.

In others there is no obvious cause.

Treatment include:

1. Initially antihistamine/decongestant combinations are used even if there is no nasal congestion or even if there is no known allergy. It can unfortunately sometimes take 2 to 3 weeks to get a response.
Eg Zyrtec D, Allegra D, Benadryl D, Claritine D.

In addition to one of these medications, Montelukast, also known as Singulair, can be used. It works along a different pathway.

If the use of these consistently for at least 3 weeks does not cause a response then a nasal spray such as Nasonex, Nasocort, Flonase or Rhinocort, can be added as well.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician