What causes excessive mucus discharge from throat?

ENT Specialist
Question
i have excessive clearing of the throat or shall i say spitting large amounts of sputum that is the size of a firecracker, and thick and slimy and white. This has been going on for 2 years now and i cxan't get a proper diagnosis. i've been to about 6 different docts and they can't diagnose me. I have had 3 barium swallow testrs done and ph manometry test and up endoscopy and tested postive for hiatal hernia. What is going on. I had to go to the hosptial this mornig to get another Barium Swallow test done. which made me burn my tongue. it felt like Alkaseltzer going down my throat or better yet it fels like hydrogen peroxide on a sore spot this just fizzles. help me please.
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
sinus infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam and thanks for using healthcaremagic,

Mucus is produced by the glands in the nose , sinuses and throat normally. The amount and character of mucus may vary from person to person.

Also throat clearing becomes like a habit in many people.

Excessive throat clearing can be a symptom of an indolent sinus infection.
The mucus from the sinus drains into the throat and can give rise to foreign body sensation and can result in throat clesaring.
Please see an ENT specialist to rule out the same.
People with allergic rhinitis (allergy in the nose ) can also have excessive mucus production in the nose and sinuses.
Since you have no other symtpoms for the past 2 years and the sputum is white and odorless I do not think there is anything serious going on.

Please see an ENT. You may need a nasal endoscopy as well. Tell tale signs of sinusitis an allergy can be seen in nasal endoscopy.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi

Follow-up: What causes excessive mucus discharge from throat? 34 hours later
thank you very much. i appreciate your answer. i will talk to my Dr. about having an Nasal Endoscopy done. We haven't done this yet. I have had this since Dec. 26, 2012 and there has been no diagnoses as of yet. All the medicines I have tried have not worked.

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
allergy should be looked for

Detailed Answer:
Please ask your doctor to also look for allergy.
Dr Rajkishori Godhi

Follow-up: What causes excessive mucus discharge from throat? 18 hours later
Hi Dr. Godhi,
Good morning. I was going to tell you that I already had an Allergy Test done and I tested allergic to 1 allergen and that was to.. XXXXXXX . Known to be present in the South. Such as XXXXXXX However, I have not been tested for Medication and Food Allergies as of yet. What can I eat to cure this thing I got going on? The doctors have all told me it is GERD and to go on a GERD diet. I don't think it is GERD. Because I wake up spitting up congestion that I have had built up all night long while sleeping. That is the primary symptom right now. I appreciate you Dr. Godhi. Thanks for trying to hep me. I really appreciate it.
What type of allergy are you referring to?
I'VE ALREADY BEEN TESTED FOR ALLERGIES AND I TESTED POSITIVE FOR 1 ALLERGEN AND THAT WAS TO XXXXXXX KNOWN FOR IN THE SOUTH SUCH AS XXXXXXX WHAT OTHER TYPE OF ALLERGY ARE YOU REFERRING TO? YOU GOT MY LIST OF MEDICATIONS TRIED SO FAR RIGHT? I APPRECIATE YOU DR. GODHI AND ALL YOUR HELP. YOU HAVE MORE HELP TO ME THAN THE OTHER DOCTRS I HAVE SEEN TO HELP ME TREAT AND GET CURE THIS.
I SENT YOU A COPY OF MY CURRENT MEDICATION LIST I AM TAKING. I ALSO HAD 2 PITUITARY XXXXXXX TUMORS REOMVED, BOTH MY ADRENAL GLANDS, AND HAVE RADIATION NECROSIS OF THE BRAIN. COULD THIS BE CUSED BY RADIATION TREATMENT YEARS BACK?

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello can be gerd

Detailed Answer:
Hello
In Gerd also you can have excessive mucus production.
It is possible that there is no other pathology going on. As I told you may just be producing more mucus. Do not worry since The mucus is white in color. See your doctor to rule out sinus infection. Drink lots of water to keep the secretions thin. Ignore the symptoms if you're doctor finds nothing wrong

Follow-up: What causes excessive mucus discharge from throat? 24 minutes later
Hi Dr. Godhi,
I just wanted to tell you that I am fixing to call my Primary Care Dr. as we speak to find out if he got the results back from my Barium Swallow test that I had done on Monday morning. I've already had 3 of those tests done. I don't know why he wanted to run another run. He said that for all practicality purposes he may send me to a Speech Therapist for Therapy. ????? I don't understand his thinking and rationality at all. Why a Speech Therapist. I don't have trouble speaking dear.
I'll let you know what the Dr.s office says. Thank you my dear for all your help. I certainly do appreciate you.

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
For GERD they are doing barium swallow

Detailed Answer:
Hello Madam,

Your doctor is doing barium swallow to look for GERD. It is an older method to diagnose GERD.
In our country XXXXXXX we no longer do barium swallow for GERD. We do upper GI endoscopy. But the protocols are different in different countries.

But I do not understanfd the raationale of the speech therapy. Please clarify with your doctor.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.