What causes excessive moisture around the anus?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i keep getting like a moist anus. just a little bit of what feels like water but smells of poop that i got to wipe like every 30 minutes. i drink allot of coffee. i get some exercise. I've been eating lots of oranges and drinking lemon juice to help my metabolism. I'm 23 years old and 194 lbs
i don't have any history with constipation. in fact i poop up to 3 times a day sometimes. i have a little bit of redness and a burning sensation when i walk. this has been happening off and on for 6 months or so. 1 week it's there next it's not
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proper Exam and tests by a General Surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.

The most probable causes for the problem you are facing are:
- Colitis with leaking mucus
- Local skin problem of the perianal skin.

This can be diagnosed by the following:
Examination of the local perianal area along with actual per-rectal digital examination by a General Surgeon.
Tests of blood, urine and stool (stool for 3 consecutive days).
Colonoscopy.
These tests will help you to get the appropriate diagnosis so that further treatment can be carried on as per the findings.

Further tests of CT scan of the abdomen and so on can be done only if required.

I hope this answer helps you to get an early diagnosis and get a proper treatment.
Please feel free to ask further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 24 minutes later
is there anything i can do to help treat it? or a probable cause? im sure its leaking mucus im hoping to know why
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let us get to the proper diagnosis, it makes treatment successful.

Detailed Answer:
Please refer to the above answer, it contains all the information you are asking for.
Till a proper diagnosis is made, you can clean the area with plain water and keep it dry. Do not apply anything locally till you are diagnosed as local applications can change the clinical appearance of the skin and deter the Doctor from proper diagnosis.