What causes excessive itching in the vaginal area?
Vaginitis to be ruled out
Vaginal itching is most commonly associated with vaginal discharge. Increased physiological discharge does not cause any itching. However, infective discharge does cause pruritus.
Vaginal infections are of three types:
1. Fungal infection: The discharge is white and flaky. It causes immense itching. It can be treated with antifungal vaginal tablets or oral tablets.
2. Trichomonal infection: The discharge of this infection is free lowing, frothy greenish white discharge. Metronidazole cures this infection effectively.
3. Bacterial infection: The discharge is yellowish white and pus like. It has got some offending smell. Antibiotics can take care of these infections.
These infections can be transmitted sexually. Hence both the partners should take simultaneous treatment.
Of course, this is a general advice. If you provide me with following details about you and your disease, I may advise you more in details and appropriately.
1. What is your age?
2. Are you married? Mote details about sexual life.
3. Any vaginal discharge? If yes, the description of the discharge.
4. Do you have dark discolouration of the vulva and thighs?
5. Do you have diabetes? Or family history of diabetes?
Please furnish me with the requested information to equip me better to advise you to solve your problem.
If you wish to have any more information, please feel free to ask me.
Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes itching and swelling in vaginal lip
- What causes vaginal bleeding and itching
- What can cause vaginal itching
- What causes excessive vaginal discharge during pregnancy
- What is the cause and treatment for vaginal itching
- What causes excessive itching on scalp
- What causes excessive vaginal discharge in women
- What could be the cause of vaginal itching
- What is the cause of vaginal itching and discharge
- What stds cause vaginal itching