question-icon

What causes excessive itching and burning sensation in throat and chest area?

Posted on Wed, 16 Dec 2015
Question: Ive had this terribly annoying itchiness and burning in my throat/chest area causing a dry cough. This came on suddenly, i attached a picture of where i feel the itchy and irritated sensation. Not sure if this is allergies or somthing else.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
URTI, plenty of fluids, lozenges,

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM.
I have gone through your query.
Most often the symptom you have mentioned is due to upper respiratory tract infection(URTI). It usually does not require any treatment, it will be self limiting.
It is mostly viral infection, I feel it is less likely to be allergic.

Presently I would suggest you only symptomatic treatment and that will be sufficient.
1. Drink plenty of water, especially warm, drink at regular intervals.
2. To a cup of milk add a pinch of turmeric powder, take it twice daily.
3. Suck over the counter cough lozenges which will produce soothing effect and reduce the cough.
5. Salt water gargling three to four times a day.

You will be fine with this.
I have not found any image, that you have mentioned, kindly upload it again, we will here to help you out.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Harish Naik