What causes excessive gas with stomach pain and vomiting when diagnosed with hpylaurie?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have this issue where if I let too much time go between meals I get gassy with a lot of pain and eventually start vomiting and the vomiting continues constantly for 12 hrs at a time. I was diagnosed with Hpylaurie years ago
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pathophysiology explained

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. The stagnation of acids irritates the stomach walls and leads to vomiting. Degradation of undigested food in the intestines by the intestinal bacteria would lead to the excess gas formation. Such conditions are often associated with H. pylori infection and if you have not received treatment for it, be sure to get treated.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fibre intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep 20 mg tablet once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in).
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.

Hope that helps.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 48 minutes later
When I was diagnosed with H pylori I was given a antibiotic cocktail which did not help but the side effects were bad. I am not aware of any other treatment for it. I have also been doing most of your suggestions and honestly have a great bowel movement everyday and sometimes twice per day. I will try the Prilosec and speak to my doctor about the Prodep. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I was talking about the anti H. pylori treatment with antibiotic cocktail; no other treatment is available.

Thanks for considering my suggestions and for implementing them. Try yoga and meditation. They help in stress relief, thereby lowering acid secretion.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj