question-icon

What causes excessive gas and vomiting after a meal?

Posted on Wed, 4 May 2016
Question: I don't have a flu or food poisoning but over the last few months I have excessive gas and sometimes vomiting after eating. I'm guessing it is some kind of intolerance such as lactose or gluten. Can you help?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (16 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Please follow....

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking.

You are reporting to have excessive gas and sometimes vomiting after eating.
Your symptoms may be related with :
- gallbladder/ pancreatic issues
- food intolerance like celiac or lactose.
- gastritis or hyperacidity.
If I were your treating doctor I would suggest to do :
- abdominal ultrasound to better evaluate gallbladder and pancreatic issues
- upper endoscopy with duodenal biopsy to rule out celiac plus serologic test for celiac.

Meantime I suggest to :
- use PPI's drugs like Prilosec twice per day
- start digestive enzymes like Creon every meal
- use simethicone to avoid gas forming
- take plenty of water
- avoid foods like beans broccoli and soft drinks.
Please don't start gluten free diet before doing serologic test and biopsy from duodenum ruling out celiac disease.
The gluten free diet before the exams may hide the diagnosis of Celiac.
Hope it was helpful to you.
Dr.Klerida

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist