What causes excessive gas and intermittent abdominal pain?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi, I am a 29 year old male. For about a month or a little longer I have experienced bouts of excessive gas mainly at nights and intermittent abdominal pain. It was not extreme but noticeable usually going away and coming back. At times it woke me up but it wasnt an intense pain or anything just annoying. I occassionally have heart burn but not alot. No fever ever or at all but I think sometimes chills or chills like symptoms occur and generally feel tired and hard to sleep well. I initially had pain over my right middle abdomen on a very noticeable point where if you run your finger over it you feel almost a bump or sensitive point and some discomfort but now that went away and its almost exclusively right next to if not right on the right side of my belly button. I pressed it with my fingers for a few seconds and it just feels tender almost like heavier than my other side. I have had abdominal pain or discomfort before for years but not with so much gas. Initially there was bloating that is less now. No loss of appetite or excessive weight loss or weight gain. I just considered it IBS and it does improve sometimes with better diet and more exercise but I want to rule out anything like appendicitis or something requiring immediate attention. thanks.
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Severe gastritis related dyspepsia

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern for GI symptoms
1) Your symptoms neither suggestive of IBS, nor appendicitis.
2) Heartburn + bloating + upper abdominal pain are suggestive of severe gastritis related dyspepsia.
3) There will be inflammation to inner layer of stomach in this condition which reduce acid production in stomach and lead to indigestion related symptoms (bloating, gas). This also make the stomach prone to develop ulcer from its own acid's irritation and lead to symptom of heartburn.
4) Generally medications for acidity is sufficient to treat this condition and occasionally intestinal digestive enzyme supplementation (Tab Unienzyme) is required to relieve symptoms of indigestion.
5) If symptoms persist then you might require upper GI endoscopy to check extent and severity of inflammation.

Hope I answered your query. If you have any further questions, I would be happy to help you.
Have a nice day!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 2 hours later
Hi thank you for the info. So I just want to make sure that there is no way its appendix related or anything like that because the discomfort is now exclusively in the lower right abdomen not really sharp pain but more tenderness and heavyness as if there is something moving or twitching on the lower right side. Also can the medicines be purchased otc and are there any dietary recommendations, I eat pretty much just fish chicken and vegetables to avoid any stomach problems its helped to a degree. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no appendicitis

Detailed Answer:
If appendicitis would be there, you would develop nausea, decreased appetite, spikes of fever along with abdominal pain.
You should use vegetables in diet which contain fibers. Feeling of twitching sensation might be due to increased small intestine movement secondary to constipation related indigestion.
Follow up: Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 6 hours later
ok thank you. I have some mild nausea at times but none of the other symptoms of fever and lack of appetite so I think thats attributable to the gas. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No worry for appendicitis

Detailed Answer:
Yes, that is true. Be worry-free from point of appendicitis or other type of intestinal infection
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng