• question-icon

What causes excessive gas and bowel movement after every meals?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: after i eat a meal, i feel gassy

and want to poop

i poop many times in a day..especially after meals

can this be heridetiry?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are hereditary causes but there are also other causes as well. There are also conditions that are affected by hereditary and also other factors as well, more than one can play a role in the conditions.

Diarrhea is 3 or more loose stools a day. If your stools are loose and they are three or more then you have diarrhea.
If it has been going on for more than 4 weeks , it is chronic diarrhea.
The stools do not have to be watery, but soft or loose.

Causes of chronic diarrhea include: (a) food intolerance- intolerance to particular foods.
A food diary would determine if there are particular foods or ingredients that cause the problem

(b)lactose intolerance

(c)inflammatory bowel disease such as crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis

(d)side effect of medication

(e)endocrine causes such as thyroid disease (high levels of thyroid hormone) or diabetes due to diabetes affecting nerve function of the gut

(f)irritable bowel syndrome- this is also a common cause and should be considered as well even if the stool are not loose or soft

If by poop you mean that you pass air only then the likely causes would be: (a) food intolerance or lactose intolerance
(b) use of gas producing foods- there are some foods more likely to cause air such as broccoli, cabbage, beans, turnips, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, prunes, carbonated drinks, onions, asparagus
(c)constipation causes bloating and excess air
(d)reflux

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 10 minutes later
I am having this problem from long time

i am a patient of diabeties

wat medication can b recomended to control

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if frequent bowel movements- lomotil, immodium , peptobismol

Detailed Answer:
HI

You stated that you have to poop often- it is not clear if you mean frequent bowel movements (stool) or passing air

To stop it you would need to: (1) find the cause, make sure it is only the diabetes not related to foods that you using or other causes

Write down the foods to see which one cause the problem and stop if you can find it

(2)you may need blood tests- the ones mentioned above

(3) medications such as lomotil, immodium or peptobismol would help but these are normally not used long term

Please feel free to ask any thing else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
hi

starts by farting, not able to control that

after a while pooping

i think is related to gastric disease

not sure how to check
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
have different options

Detailed Answer:
HI

You can check by : (1) the food diary to see if related to particular food- write down what you eat and drink and if any reaction occurs

(2)reduce the use of the foods that cause excess gas

(3)consider a stool sample to the lab to check for infection

(4) also consider a full blood count (also checks for infection), thyroid tests

(5)may need a scope by a doctor to take a look at the bowel

If anything unclear, let me know
Dr. Michelle Gibson James