question-icon

What causes excessive flatulence even after eating light quantity of food?

Posted on Mon, 23 Nov 2015
Question: I feel really uncomfortable after eating and feel as if need to have a really large burp to relieve the presue. I have recently had an colonoscopy which was clear.
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Flatulence

Detailed Answer:

At this age it is quite common to have flatulence (gas) even with light quantity of food because the enzyme producing cells are not replicating too much. If you had a thorough check up and find that there is no organic problem causing this heavy gas building I suggest you to focus on foods that digest easily like potato, rice, banana, grapes, lettuce. They do not need enzymes large to digest and thus produce less gas.

Charcoal tablets are available over the counter at any pharmacy but if you are taking any other medications charcoal should not be used because it makes the other medications less effective. I generally suggest Simethicone which is another over-the-counter medication that can also help with gas problems. A lot of my patients are happy with ginger tea/ale after a meal. This is natural and has antioxidants as well.

You may try my options. Let me know anything else or you can close our discussion here.
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam