• question-icon

What causes excessive flatulence after meal?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor, since a few days am passing a lot of wind all the time specially after lunch and dinner; it is very embarassing and am beset with this problem the first time; Sometimes I have difficulty passing stools though I have gone to the toilet with a strong urge. No ! I dont have piles nor fissures but I did suffer from worms a couple of months ago as I was itching from the anus then not now. I was put off liquor for medication purposes. Currently, although I do visit the toilet atleast 2 to 3 times in the morning and sometimes loose motions but I dont need to take imodium now which is very strange! Yes I do have a sip of whisky and beer to give company to my friends on a saturday and sunday but never do I drink alone nor feel the urge to drink at all;
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
take Probiotics and careful with your diet.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to health care magic,

I have read your query and understand the concern.

Excessive flatulence (passing a lot of wind) after meal is likely due to excess gas production in bowels or excess carbohydrate diet.

The main thing, you need to understand is that excessive flatulence is condition that needs to be targeted through multiple approaches.

For which,you should take Probiotics (sporolac-DS 3 times daily). It will help greatly for both loose motions and flatulence.

But there are some other dietary aspects,we need to concentrate on which includes:

1) Have 5-6 small meals instead of 2-3 large ones: This prevents leaving your stomach empty for long duration of time which in turn causes gas formation.

2) Avoid all those food items that can cause increased gas production (eg. Lentils, potatoes, carbonated drinks, oats, sugar-containing drinks, pasta, beans, candy, gum, milk and dairy products, onions, green peppers, onions, celery, apricots, bananas, pears, peaches, etc.)

3) Drink plenty of water between all your meals.As staying hydrated is crucial in preventing gas production in bowels.

4) Avoid a lifestyle in which you sit in one place for long.

Make sure you move around and have at least a 30-minute walk as part of your daily exercise.

5) Avoid drinking alcohol (whisky, beer etc) and also smoking if you do.

Ensure that you approach all these aspects and with the Probiotics (sporolac-DS) use, you will surely feel a great improvement within 5 to 7 days.

In case,if still symptoms persists even after above dietary treatment,then I would suggest you to see gastroenterologist for further advice who will know about all the necessary investigations and further treatment.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sandip Kabra