What causes excessive daytime sleeping and fatigue in an elderly person?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: My Mom is 93 and has been complaining lately of extreme fatigue, lack of energy, and daytime sleepiness. This is NOT the way she was just a few months ago. A recent CBC indicated an RDW of 15.2% (normal to 15%). All other CBC metrics were within normal range including Hemogblobin of 12.8 g/dl and an MCV of 96.5 fL (normal 80 - 100). Prior CBC (5 months ago) indicated RDW of 13.5% with MCV of 99.4. (same lab) ... all metrics within normal range. I normally wouldn't be concerned with any metric just slightly out of range (the RDW in this case), but I am wondering if anything here needs to be explored by a Hematologist or is a possible reason for her fatigue.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
no this is not reason enough for fatigue

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The importance of MCV and rdw lies in investigation for anemia. Her hemoglobin is pretty much OK. So the importance of these two parameters is minimal. They can't explain her fatigue.

I would suggest to look at some other causes for her fatigue, like hormonal disorders.

Hope this helps. I will be available for further follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply. Her thyroid (with Synthroid) is at a normal level. PTH is high at 81 but Serum Calcium and Vitamin D are normal. LVEF is 51%. Any other hormonal labs that you would recommend?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
cortisol

Detailed Answer:
The adrenal gland function should also be looked at with serum cortisol