What causes excessive day time drowsiness?

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I am getting the sleep at odd timings mostly after my break-fast. When i am driving i am getting the sleep and some times i had to stop and get down then to drive.
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
sleep adequately in the night.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting a query,

Drowsiness or sleepiness you are suffering may be due to a decreased blood supply to the brain brought about by any disorder in circulation due to cardiovascular problems.

I suggest you have a complete work up done including a carotid duplex scan , a 2 D echocardiography to assess cardiac size and to note any cardiac abnormalities, coagulation tests, and an EEG to rule out seizures.Assessment of the blood vessels in your extremities may also rule out any existing blood clots or vascular insufficiencies.

Your primary physician will be able to help you rule out any underlying causes. Although this may not be an urgent case, frequent sleepiness or drowsiness require further assessment.

Keep in touch with us regarding your progress.
I hope this helps.
Any query do follow up.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng