What causes excessive cough in a person while on anti-tuberculosis medication?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 9 May 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: with going on treatment with anti tubercular lymphadentis with Akurit 3 for past five months my daily dose is 4 tablets empty stomach I have two incidents so please explain them fully individually

1)sir one day after taking medicine early morning empty stomach nearly after two and half hours I started doing brush,so while cleaning the tongue with tongue cleaner I normally force much so that any unwanted cough or saliva in the stomach should come out,now as I started cleaning the tongue the saliva came in red color and and there was red color of medicine in my mouth so immediately I took some water , after nearly one and half hour of this I took another pill so that my dosage of the day won't compromise and during all this I was empty stomach did eat anything so lease explain will my all tablets morning empty stomach and the extra I'll taken after one and half hour of brush will be effective na
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes , it will be effective

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to HCM. Thanks for writing in to us with your health concerns. yes, it will be effective as you have taken the second dose. it is not recommended to gag so much that you vomit your stomach contents , there is no cough or saliva in stomach . It can also lead to local trauma . If you want you should clean your tongue gently and not go very far behind in throat. It can cause more harm then gain. Regards Dr Manisha Jain.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 47 minutes later
madam my main concern is that as morning on that day I took my required daily dose as per prescription,my daily dose is four tablets ,and I took all four in that morning,the extra pill that I took was as a precaution so that my dose won't be compromised, for that day my question is the four tablets taken early morning should also be effective na for that day....as the saliva came out in red color means not all the four tablets became ineffective na for that day....I took breakfast nearly one hour after taking the fifth pill and in between all this time I was empty stomach
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will be effective

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern regarding the dose. Dont worry it will be effective .
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 23 minutes later
Madam as in this treatment daily dose is effective hence asking you always about the effectiveness,
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Will not hamper the schedule

Detailed Answer:
Hello again. I know the daily dose is important but since you took the medicine again , it will not hamper the effectiveness of the schedule.Please relax.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 41 minutes later
Madam as said I took all the 4 tablets early morning empty stomach on that day and my daily dose is 4 tablets of Akurit 3 daily,but as on that day while cleaning the tongue I got saliva in red color as said earlier I took only one extra pill not all four tablets as four tablets may overdose for that day and it can effect,so I took only one pill as I was not vomiting full or neither the tablets came out fully it was just while cleaning the tongue the saliva from stomach came in red color,my question is this four tablets which I have taken in morning were not became ineffective na for that day.....As I took that extra one tablet as per my precaution only
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hello again. Since you vomitted nearly two and half hoour after ingestion of tablets, till that time tablets get dissolved and absorbed from the stomach and intestines. The red orange colour you saw is due to Rifampicin which normally causes this change in body secretions. Also taking one extra tablet along with 4 tablets will not affect the efficacy of the 4 tablets. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 20 minutes later
madam as you said I did it after two and half hour but I didn't vomitted any thing , vomiting has not been done just I press hard in the tongue and the saliva came out in red color
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No problem

Detailed Answer:
then there is no problem at all. if you took one tablet extra then it will not disturb the balance of other drugs. Relax