What causes excessive bloating post appendectomy?

Posted on Wed, 14 Jan 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: belly is begging bigger after 4 days of no gas release after apendectomy surgery. what to do to help produce gas?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Paralytic ileus, self resolving

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking!

Appendectomy is an innocuous procedure but manipulates bowels and functions and motility of bowels are such procedures are very limited for a while like deranged peristalsis movements and abdominal distensions. This distension and not passing flatus is called paralytic ileus and it self resolves.

A nelaton catheter also called flatus tube should be passed if flatulence is worrisome, soft and fluid diet is advised. Walk and get mobilised, the more you walk the more likely is the chance to regain bowel movements earlier.

If the procedure was success without any complication like perforation etc then i don't see any thing to worry about.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

May the odds be ever in your favour.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 44 minutes later
CT scan said theres a blockage. as per nurse said but she dont know where. what should i expect next.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physiological obstruction likely, paralytic ileus

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

as i mentioned paralytic ileus is an obstruction too.Its a physiological obstruction. Neostigmine or any other cholinergic like prokinetic may relieve it.

There is a slight chance of 2.8 % in people to get small bowel mechanical obstruction and obstipation in that case may lead to re exploration as that is a surgical emergency. But that is a chronic equelae not after a few days of the procedure.

I believe it to be no more than paralytic ileus but , there is no harm in getting evaluated. They should run son some labs like barium follow through studies to rule out any mechanical small bowel obstruction or large bowel.

If you have a constipation history , this adynamic ileus may mimic obstruction as it worsens constipation.

Whats next is purely dependant on the complete clinical assessment and examination followed by work up. Seek your surgeon and let them have a look.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan