What causes excessesive sweating?

Excellent
Question
What causes excess sweating? The last couple of months it's been more frequent where I can be doing nothing or very little and the nape of my neck and back are almost dripping. Most annoying not good for hairdo either. What can I do to stop it besides crank the air conditioner When I go I walks on warm days I won't sweat while walking but once I stop again I can feel it dripping down my back. I guess I'm selecting endocrinologist in case of thyroid although last blood work was ok ...follow up PTC Not change of life ....had hysterectomy when I was 21
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hello.Need bit more details

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
Noted your case history.
How much Thyroxine are you taking after surgery for PTC ? Did you have a radio iodine ablation done ?? What is the last TSH like ?

Did you ever take hormone replacement after hysterectomy? Were Ovaries taken out as well ? Could you tell me what was the indication for Hysterectomy at that young age of 21 years ?

Since how long are you having this excess sweating for? any palpitations ?

SOrry for asking so many questions. But they are extremely important to assessment and for diagnosis. I hope you will reply

Binu

Follow-up: What causes excessesive sweating? 6 hours later
No iodine ablation. The dr said I was right on the borderline as whether to have that done. I think last TSH was 1.5 it had gone up a little bit but still good. Some tissue came back but not enough concern to biopsy will just monitor it for now. Taking 150 mcg Synthroid. Endometriosis reason for complete hysterectomy took Premarin for about a year then no hormone replacement. In the 1990s I had thorasic surgery for stomach and esophagus problems and being monitored because of Barrett's sometimes palpitations but not always but do have tremors but endo said it's not related to thyroid. Sweating for at least a month possible infection I just finished a course of cephalexin 250 mg 4*per day for a possible infected cyst on my back. Other than these annoying things ...shakes and sweating and 15 lbs I can't loose I am basically pretty healthy

Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Okay, your Thyroid fuctions are okay and that doesnt explain the symptoms of sweating. Yes, an infection can explain the tremors and sweating but it is very unusual for it to last a month. However, certain infections like abcess etc can last for many weeks. Hope the course of antibiotics which you took worked well.

Weight loss does occur during periods of infections.