What causes excess mucus from post-nasal drip?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: For one year experiencing post nasal thick mucous running into throat. Affecting voice quality unable to expect orate .voice raspy,gravelly,cannot clear throat with swallowing
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
would need a topical nasal spray

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Post nasal drip of mucus can be disturbing.

It is most commonly related to allergies. The drip can sometimes also cause a cough and intermittent hoarseness (as with you).

Topical nasal sprays are usually helpful for treatment. This includes sprays such as nasonex, nasocort, flonase, rhinocort etc.
A prescription may be required for one of these.

Can be combined with an anti histamine or montelukast.

In addition if it is possible to find out the allergen causing the reaction and reduce exposure to it, this would also help.
I had a patient whose post nasal drip was due to bananas according to her allergy blood test.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions