What causes esophagus to get blocked with mucus?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Last night, trying to eat, I either got some food lodged in my esophagus, or with the constant drainage from allergies, my esophagus is blocked with mucus. I have not been able to swallow anything since 8PM last night. I've been reguritating mucus all night and most of today. Just tried to sip some cold water, only to have the reguriation with mucus, and small pieces of chicken from last night. Cannot swallow, need to eat.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Esophageal diverticulum suspected.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Regurgitation of mucus and food consumed a day before is suggestive of a diverticulum in the esophagus.Diverticulum is a pouch like structure arising from the wall of the esophagus.Food and secretions can lodge in this pouch and can be regurgitated at latter time.

I would order for performing contrast studies such as barium swallow wherein contrast XXXXXXX is injected into the esophagus and viewed under radiographic control. In case any diverticulum or pouch is present, it can be treated surgically.

I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist for investigations and treatment.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 45 minutes later
Ok, you gave me orders for a test. What do I do in the meantime to actually to begin swallowing? All I have done today is barf up mucus. I am getting hungry, and need to swallow to take my allergy medications. Please help.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Medical tt will not help,visit doctor immediately

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,
It is an emergency.
Consult your doctor as soon as possible.
There is no medical treatment to begin swallowing.
You need to rush to your primary healthcare provider to begin measures to facilitate swallowing. If spontaneous swallowing is not possible, external help may be required.
Assessment of clinical condition is needed to begin management.
No medication will resolve your problem.

Thanks and take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D