question-icon

What causes esophageal spasms?

Posted on Mon, 8 May 2017
Question: My esophagus seems to be in a spasm of some kind. Nothing will go down, liquid or solid, not even saliva. I have to spit it up every 15 minutes or so. No pain, just refuses to let anything go down. My email is YYYY@YYYY or YYYY@YYYY .
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (43 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Considerations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for sending the query.

I recommend that you go to your local emergency room as soon as possible.

This is a medical emergency as it sounds like you have developed an obstruction in your esophagus.

This can sometimes be treated with a procedure to inspect the esophagus and clear the obstruction, dilate a stricture. It may be necessary for them to admit you to the hospital for an appropriate workup.

Thanks again for sending the query.

Sincerely,

Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist