What causes esophageal obstruction and food to enter lungs?
this is unusual
Hi and welcome.
This is unusual that right diagnosis cant be found.
There can be organic obstruction or functional disorder,there is no something third.
He obviously have esophageal obstruction which can be caused by tumors or benign conditions but endoscopy must be performed and biopsy taken. If this is cancer then surgery is required where portion of esophagus is resected and small bowel attached to healthy part. If this is neurolgogic disorder or functional disorder then nasogastric tube should be inserted and he can be fed through it. Gastrojejunostomy is bypass for distal obstruction but it wont solve the problem in pharynx and esophagus.
I suggest to find nutritionist who will prescribe parenteral nutrition, he should do MRI of oropharynx and esophagus and have biopsy of all obstructive lesions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of esophageal spasm with shaky voice
- What causes esophageal varices
- What causes haziness of the lung
- What causes density in the lungs
- Esophagitis causes
- Obstructive lung disease causes
- What causes a collapsed lung
- What causes esophageal candidiasis
- Junk food as a cause of lung cancer
- What causes lung scarring