What causes erection problem after quitting alcohol?

Dr. Sunil Gupta

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Erectile Dysfunction
Question: Hi Sir
I am 33 year old, height 5 ft 6 inch, weight 68-70 KG (varies). I was high alcohol addict since 2006 and now I was in recovery process of alcoholism with help of local physician ( doctor took all necessary test to find out any damage in my body due to high consumption of alcohol i.e. lever test, blood test and so on and everything is perfect, even no warning results ) since last 1 and half month. In this process, I am observing that I am not having normal erecting just after directly quitting of alcohol. I had kept my self some time in observation, but now it is 1 and half month over. Same behaviour I observed earlier when I stop drinking suddenly for 10-15 days. During that time penis became died. This is the first issue. Second issue is that if somehow penis get erected and I start masturbating, no ejaculation overall and penis went die again. I discussed with all my doctor but he just told me keep some patience and give some time to body. However he is not mentioning that these are the symptoms of recovery process and medication which I am using to quit alcohol. I am writing to you for your opinion. Please help me as I am getting married in next 1 month.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be part of recovery process.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

I went through your query and can understand the distress that you must be having with your sexual problems.

First of all, let me congratulate you for your motivation to quit alcohol and its nice to now that it has been one and half months now. I do wish that this continues for the rest of your life.

Regarding difficulty in attaining and maintaining erection, it happens to many people during the initial recovery process. I would agree with your physician that you don't have anything to worry about and with time, your sexual ability will return back to normal.

I would have like to know the name of the current medications that you are currently on so that I could tell you if by any chance they are contributing to your sexual problems.

In any case, I would advise that you should as of now try to defocus yourself from the sexual problems as this is something which will get affected more if you remain preoccupied about it. Also, start exercising daily (jogging would be a good option), which is help you not only in attaining optimal physical health but also in ability to relax well.

You will note that with time, you will be able to get over your sexual issues. In case it persists, you should consider asking a psychiatric consultation for the same and consider therapy sessions for it.

I do hope that I was able to answer your query. Please let me know if you have any further queries. I will be glad to help.

Best wishes,

Dr. Sunil Gupta