What causes erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Vishal Garala

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Sexual Health
Question: Hi,
I have issues with maintaining erection. My penis gets erect and comes down within 2-5 seconds, as a result I am unable to penetrate deeper.
I am in constant travel as nature of my job, and often I dont be with my wife for 2/3rd of the year.
I masturbate a lot when I am in travel. Could this have caused the issues with erection maintainability.

Are there any pills in particular that can be used while having sex with my wife. We are also trying for a baby, any advice would help

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Erectile problem has many origins

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I admire you for positive outlook and very glad to discuss with you. Erectile problem has many causes
1. Life style cause: Stress and busy life style make you fatigue and secondary to this it makes less desire in sex and erectile problems. So change is necessary.
2. Relationship: Free communication and mutual understanding will help. Sex is mutual act; so try to do mutually and tell your problem to partner. This will reduce your anxiety and able to help in sustaining erection. So stress free lifestyle and mutual communication will help
3. Physical health: Routine check up and physical health fitness is necessary.
Psychological soundness is also a must. In my patients, besides the aforementioned measures I also try SUN SET FOCUS. It is difficult to explain whole method but it is the method to treat psychological erectile problem and stress related erectile problems. You can learn about it on web or through your doctor.
4. A newly launched product name tetrafol plus which contain phosphodiaesterase which help in erection. It is daily supplement with promising results with daily intake up to 2 months
5. Lastly I prefer medicine like sildenafil and tadanafil in selected patients. But it require evaluation.
Do take advise from doctors.

Masturbation is normal physiological function of our body.
It is one the method to satisfy sexual pleasure in absent of partner.
Both sex and masturbation has same and has same end result to get satisfaction

So no need to worry. Masturbation doesn't lead to any problem in your married life

Get well soon thank you

If you have still query than feel free to ask.

Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vishal Garala 2 hours later
Thank you so much Doctor for your advice.

Actually my wife does not have a problem with my erection, she totally understands the situation.

I usually walk/run for about 4 KMs every day.

I was suggested with Tadalafil(megalis 20) by my wife's Gynecologist and one of the urologist as well.

I usually take this once in 3 days when I am with my wife, especially when trying to conceive.

Please let me know if tetrafol plus can be taken alongside of megalis or should megalis be avoided in case I take tetrafol plus.

Also please let me know if either megalis or tetrafol plus will result in any issue with the sperm (like motility, count etc.,) that can affect our plans to conceive

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can take both together.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Yes you can combine both tadafil and tetrafol plus.

I prefer in my patient tetrafol plus daily for 15 days than two times in a day after 15 days.

Tadafil 20 mg has excellent results. It is used as and when require 1 hour before sexual intercourse.

Neither of this two medicine will affect sperm count and not affect your plan of conceive. So no need to worry.

Always here to help you.
Thank you for using healthcare magic.
Follow up: Dr. Vishal Garala 26 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Thank you so much for your advise. I have one last question.
When I masturbate, I do so without coming out, does that cause any kind of problems like erectyle dysfunction etc.,

Please advise

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Vishal Garala 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, no it does not.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Very good to see you again.

No it does not lead to any problem.

No need to worry.

It does not lead to erectile dysfunction.

Relax and enjoy.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari