Owl Image

What causes erectile dysfunction?

Question
My husband 64, can't get or keep erection, he takes 1 mg of Xanax at nt, at midnight gets an erection that lasts 20 minutes or more. He has had kidney issues, that is when this started. He has brought his numbers up, GFR 69, creatine 117, what can we do
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
screen for diabetes, atherosclerosis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,
I have read your history carefully.

Just like other body functions, sexual functions are also known to reduce with age - the time to arouse, the ability to sustain erection, the refractory period between erections and the perception of orgasm are all affected.I feel that the symptoms that your husband is facing are normal.

I think the creatinine level is 1.17 and GFR is good considering he had kidney issues.

Erectile dysfunction can result from Diabetic neuropathy and Atherosclerosis.
Please get your Lipid profile and HBA1c plus fasting blood sugar via your primary care physician. If these abnormalities are detected early and corrected then that could have beneficial effect for your husband's symptoms.

let me know if you have any query
thanks

Follow-up: What causes erectile dysfunction? 43 minutes later
High fasting glucose is 90, his cholesterol is 198, with good cholesterol. He gets a good erection, that lasts around midnight, after taking 1 mg of Xanax, would the Xanax effect it?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
test results are in range

Detailed Answer:
hello again

the cholesterol and sugar are in normal range though I would still recommend an HbA1c for blood sugar as it gives an average blood glucose concentration over prolonged periods of time.

Yes Xanax has been reported to affect sexual performance via altering libido in 10 to 15 % of patients. you could taper down the dose in consultation with your doctor to see for an improvement.

Remember , the majority of cases of perceived sexual under performance are due to psychological causes. Stress and Anxiety to perform can greatly hinder the overall performance. Cognitive Behavioral therapy (CBT) may also be an option if your personal efforts come short.

Let me know if you have any query
I will be more than glad to answer

thanks.