What causes erectile dysfunction in a kidney transplant patient indicate?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Erectile Dysfunction
Question: My question is how to treat ED and anorgasmia. I'm a kidney transplant patient. The cause for failure unknown unless NSAIDS as prescribed. I developed neuropathy from trauma from surgery and secondary diabetes from Prednizone for antirejection after surgery. Diabetes is A1C normal w/o treatment.
I have recently taken myself gradually off medications for Neuropathy because of side effects. This is 1st week w/o Gralise,Cymbalta,Depakote, and Keppra. I hope things may get better. I'm not a candidate for the pills (Viagra, etc) I'm not doing shots in penis. I've started Magnesium, Zinc, B12, B-complex for men. I will soon be tested for testerone etc.. What other treatments, foods or supplements are there that may help? PS: I'm only 71?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your Erectile Dysfunction is due to many fold medical issues

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query .

You are currently facing problem of Erectile Dysfunction .
There are multiple factors that are contributing to your problem of ED
1) Diabetes associated with neuropathy .
2) Hyper Cholesterol levels
3) Hypothyroidism
4) Hypertension
5) Age related low level of Testosterone in blood .

With having multiple health issues it is unlikely that you will be benefited with drugs that are being commonly prescribed to treat ED .

Your Dr has rightly prescribed Intra Cavernosal injections of Trimix or Caverjet .

There is no harm in trying the same .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
I'm afraid I must agree with your answer. I do have one last question, please.
I recently read about a study that helped anorgasmia in 69% of trial study.
The medication is Cabergoline (generic-Dostinex) off label for Anorgasmia.

Do you have an opinion about me trying it?

The study was by Dr Hsieh at Baylor College Men's Health Clinic.
Thank you for your advice. Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can try it.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up .

A single study or research on any drug is not accepted by WHO unless it is supported by multiple clinical trials and after established long term results .

However you can certainly try it .

Thanks and Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 10149 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Secondary diabetes

doctor1 MD

gd mrng sir..this is XXXX.My brother is suffering with DM from 1 year now he is using Tab.ISTAVEL 100 mg but the sugar levels are not...

doctor1 MD

My father is a Diabetic and is on Insulin . He was earlier on Tablets. However post his Bypass Surgery two years agao he has now been put on...

doctor1 MD

I am not taking my hydrocortsor for my pituitary removal, but i notice for the last two weeks that my blood sugar is high. I am a type 2 diabetic,...

doctor1 MD

i have a son in law who has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes . He is on insulin injections 4 times a day. He drinks very heavy spirits eg...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I had crushing syndrome and was operated.so as the pituitary was not functioning properly I was taking eltroxin and steroid tab for about...

doctor1 MD

Hi Doc, 2 years before my son was admitted for acute pancreatitis and he was stayed only 4 days at hospital and become normal. After one year he...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

127 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction