What causes epistaxis?

Posted on Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi .. yesterday the blood ran through my nose unexpectedly....even i didnt feel any pain or something. later on it stopped. since then it happend to me 4 times in 24 hrs. what should i do? this kind of thing happened to me first time ever. please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please get an ENT examination done Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. There can be various causes of epistaxis and most of these are painless. There are usually two types of epistaxis: anterior and posterior. Anterior epistaxis can be because of scab formation or ulceration in the anterior part of nasal cavity mostly on the nasal septum. The scab formation can be because of nose picking, dry environment or some deviation in nasal septum which can give rise to pointed area (spur) and thus bleed. Sometimes this can be idiopathic. This is most common in younger patients. Other than this, there can be some masses in relation to septum and some vascular malformations. Posterior epistaxis, most common cause is hypertension in the elderly and other causes can be a mass in the nasal cavity. Some systemic causes can also affect the bleeding and clotting mechanisms and thus result in bleeding so also some drugs like aspirin. Please get yourself examined by an ENT and try to find out the cause so that specific treatment can be given. Meanwhile please get your blood pressure monitored, use any lubricating ointment in nose and put some liquid paraffin drops in nose. Also you can take vitamin C tablets and avoid pain killer/aspirin if you are using it. Feel free to ask another query.
Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist