What causes episodes of fatigue, fever, sore throat and stomach pain?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: 11 yr old boy with increasing episodes of fatigue, fever, sore throat, stomach pain, body aches for over a year. Now coming weekly, temps of 103, lasts for days ALL labs by endocrinology, rheumotology, cancer markers are negative. Neg ANA, CBC normal, neg for mono, strep, MRI neg, CT neg. He is getting worse each month. Today pustules on the tonsils, fever of 103, exhaustion. No one knows what is happening. Question possible juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Not following pattern. Being worked up by Kaiser specialists. Nothing is being diagnosed.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blood counts suggested. Gurgling with lukewarm water should help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on healthcaremagic.

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns. But it is very difficult to comment without considering all details of the case simultaneously. Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis is indeed a possibility and it is possible for such a condition to be seronegative (nothing showing up in blood reports).

As of now, I would suggest gurgling with lukewarm water. That should help in resolution of the sore throat. Get his blood counts checked.

Hot compress would help in case of the body aches. Ask his doctor to consider immunosuppressives and disease modifying agents for treatment.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng