What causes episodes of burning pain in the upper abdomen and stomach?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had couple of episodes of burning pain in the upper abdomen right under my breasts radiating down to my stomach. No stomach issues. I have a floating hiatal hernia and am aware of the times of day to stop eating before bedtime. I take 1 omeprazole in the morning before the day starts and I take Sucralafate 1 GM tablet 3 hours after my last meal. Coffee seems to make it worse if I drink late at night. I have strong burning all over my back in the same location. I was in the ER in October thinking I was having a heart attack. I have had recent episodes that were much more painful burning and one night lead to vomiting for about an hour. The pain was a 10 during that episode.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible pancreatic or acid reflux problem.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health concern.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

What you are describing seems like either Pancreatitis or pain from acid reflux in the esophagus.

I would suggest you consider a visit to a gastroenterologist for sure who can do a fibrogastroscopic examination if you haven't done. Also he can check the pancreatic enzymes and do an ultrasound to check the pancreas.

Meanwhile, avoid foods or drinks that stimulate the pain and that makes it worse.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need any more information.

Kind regards,
Dr.Papaqako
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T