What causes episodes of bradycardia in a person with anxiety?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi I had all cardiac tests done and everything came back structurally normal. I passed my stress test achieving 90 percent of maximum heart rate. My Holter showed some pacs. Approximately 400 over 48 hours and 15 pvcs. What is concerning me is the fact that I have episodes of bradycardia where my heart rate will be around 55bpm. My cardiologist insists that my heart is very healthy. I suffer from anxiety especially since I've had palpitations. Also I get episodes where my heart starts racing around 170bpm especially after doing minimal exertion. For example climbing the stairs. This worries me the most.

Today I did a lot of walking to get some physical activity and I felt great. However, after I went in my car and drove to my parents house I started getting fast heart rate when I got out of the car and started walking again. Could it be anxiety causing these palpitations. I've had so many tests done on my heart and everything seems to be normal. I don't understand why I would get palpitations after exercising and resting
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking again!
I read your query and would like to say that you have nothing to be concerned about.

Based on the data you provided you have a normal heart. Although a resting heart of 55 is called bradycardia it's quite normal to have such a resting heart and you shouldn't worry about that.

Also you shouldn't worry about the tachycardia and palpitations. Tachycardia in your case is caused by anxiety and stress, and lowering stress level will improve your symptoms.

I strongly encourage you physical activities and recreational activities (sport, dancing and yoga) in order to reduce your anxiety. These together with CBT (you are already doing from 2 months) with help you relieving your symptoms.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 3 minutes later
Doctor thank you for getting back to me so quickly. These symptoms are driving me crazy sometimes. Today was my daughter's birthday so I took your advice and did lots of physical activity and took her to play all day and then to the shopping mall and we walked for a while. I felt good. Then after resting and getting up again, tachycardia started up again I could feel palpitations just from walking from my car to my mother's front door. Is this normal?
Also can anxiety be a cause of bradycardia? I heard that bradycardia can be one symptom of prolonged anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's normal. Just keep going these way and have patience.

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Yes this is normal for a person suffering from anxiety. You should have patience and should continue with physical and recreational activities to lower anxiety levels.

Just keep in mind that it needs some time for CBT and other measures to see any improvement. Just keep going these way and have patience.

Wish you health!
Dr. shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 13 hours later
Hi doctor I have one more question. Is there a reason why sometimes I will have more bradycardia than others. For example on some days I will feel a slow pulse even when standing and on others it is more pronounced. On days when I feel it slow it also feels weaker.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

This is a normal finding and you shouldn't worry about that. Cardiac rate and B.P are dynamic parameters and they may changeeven within minutes, due to change on stress level, overall mood and other factors.

Hope this will be of help!
Dr. Shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist