What causes episodes of atrial fibrillation?

Cardiologist
Question
I am in sporadic afib...had 3 cardio enversions done, taken medications and now a pacemaker and still in afib. What do you suggest?????
Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that as you are experiencing recurrent episodes of atrial fibrillation, it would be advisable to be well anti-coagulated for avoiding potential cardio-embolic events (small thrombi originating from inside cardiac chambers [both atria] and traveling with blood flow to several organs).

You have to discuss with your attending doctor on the above recommendation for excluding potential contraindications (increased bleeding risk, etc.)

As you are actually on a permanent pacemaker therapy, it is likely you may be suffering from sick sinus syndrome. Coming to this point, it is necessary to perform a careful differential diagnostic workup of the etiologic cause (ischemic, degenerative, infectious, etc.)

In addition several medical tests are recommended:

- thyroid hormones level,
- blood electrolytes level,
- renal and liver function tests,
- fasting blood glucose level- complete blood count,
- PCR & ESR

An electrophysiological study is advisable and a comprehensive discussion about a possible cardiac ablation would be valuable.

You have to discuss with your doctor on the above mentioned issues.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further questions, feel free to ask me again!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri