What causes entire body swelling issues, bluish coloration on the leg and respiratory issues?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 13 Nov 2018 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: I've noticed entire body swelling issues that resolve with steroid use. In addition, I am unusually fatigued. Recently, we went skiing and after a day outside noticed bluish coloration to the skin on my left leg extending from the butt to just below the knee. I've become more susceptible to respiratory issues (becoming asthmatic in the presence of cats and some air fresheners. I have seasonal allergies and am allergic to cats and dust, but have never had an asthmatic event until recently. My mother had chronic, severe RA that was diagnosed at 24 YO. Generally, I try to work out and I do eat healthy. Over the past year, I've noticed my endurance in running my usual mile to be significantly impacted.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get done PFT.

Detailed Answer:

Late onset asthma can be seen after 40 years of age.
Since you are having allergies, we should definitely rule out asthma first. It is better to consult a pulmonologist and get a clinical examination done of the respiratory system and PFT (Pulmonary Function Test).

PFT will not only diagnose asthma but it will also tell you about the severity of the disease; treatment is based on severity only.
You will mostly improve with inhaled bronchodilators (formoterol or salmeterol) and inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) (budesonide or fluticasone).

Don't worry, you will be alright with all these. Please let me know if you already had PFT done.

I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health.

Thanks.

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar,
Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
I believe my allergist has done a PFT, but when being administered I am generally fine. He has put me on Proair to be taken when in the presence of cats. My overall concern is the swelling, fatigue, and recent unexplained discoloration of my left leg when skiing, and the fact I felt so much better while taking a Medrol Dose pack to treat a back issue.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Have you started menopause?

Detailed Answer:

Improvement after steroid (Medrol) is more suggestive of menopausal symptoms, so please let me know if you have started menstrual abnormality or not.

Have you started menopause?

Please reply me answers of above asked questions, so that I can guide you better. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health.

Thanks.

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar,
Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 29 minutes later
I have not been told that menopause has started. I had my uterus ablated in 2014 due to complications heavy bleeding and a prolapsed uterus. So it is hard for me to determine whether I am menopausal.
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should get done hormone levels.

Detailed Answer:

Possibility of hormonal imbalance is more likely because of abated uterus, so better to consult gynecologist and get done clinical examination and hormone levels.

You may need hormone supplements too.

Another possibility is diabetes and dyslipidemia. Therefore, please let me know if you have tested for diabetes and lipids. Also let me know if you are suffering from nervous breakdowns, depression etc. Wish you good health.

Thanks.

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar,
Pulmonologist